Alabare A Mi Senor

Alabare A Mi Senor: I Will Worship My Savior

Nothing but love...

Pamela



Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sing Them Over Again to Me--Wonderful Words of Life

I’m all about words. I love the pictures words paint in my mind, the feelings evoked by words, and the sounds made by words. When someone speaks to me, or I’m reading, pictures with sound are moving in my mind (most of the time cartoons, but that’s another story for another day).


For instance, read these words out loud: “pink,” “angel,” “kitty,” “puppy,” and “sunny.” Now, don’t you feel a little less tightly-wound? (If you’re not wound tightly enough, say the words “weight gain” or “Internet service not available” out loud.)


The word “snorkel” always makes me laugh. I don’t know why—it’s just a funny word. What exactly is the origin of a “snorkel?” It’s like a sound someone makes while laughing and drinking water simultaneously. So, not only does snorkel sound funny, it creates a funny image. “Pop” and “bump” make sounds. “Pain” is felt.


I can never say the word “behold” without doing so dramatically-- standing on my tip toes, sweeping my arms open wide and gazing toward the heavens to the sound (in my head) of a harp. In my small world of words, without drama, “behold” just doesn’t carry a whole lot of weight.


But the word “Commitment” --now that’s a word with some heft. Commitment requires a capital letter (it’s important). Commitment stops me in my tracks (it’s physical). I pay attention. I honor the word. Commitment isn’t a soft, calm-feeling word. Commitment has angles and edges. Commitment doesn’t amuse us—it’s a very solemn word. In fact, Commitment frightens a lot of us. Commitment has the sound of strength. The word Commitment creates pictures of steadfastness: a tired and wounded soldier on the battlefield, a couple pledging devotion and faithfulness before God, the witnessed signature of a binding legal document …these are all life-changing, imposing acts of allegiance. Commitments.


Why do we make a “commitment?” For love? For status? Do we make commitments simply because of entitlement and reward? I believe that we were created with a profound desire for commitment to God. Our deep-rooted yearning for connection with the Lord is reflected by our commitment to His service, and by living lives that are exemplary of the lifestyle, mind set, and emotional maturity He commands of us. After all, He made a commitment to us, first; and then as proof of His commitment, offered His only Son as a living sacrifice, so we would know the level of His love and commitment to us. Commitment to our church, our choir, our Sunday School class are not obligations, but invitations to connect with God through His Son, Jesus. How small are our struggles in comparison. How trivial are our pops, bumps, and pain. How amazing is His love and grace.


How do we keep our commitment to Him? By living in His Word. His Word is felt. His Word creates an image. His Word comforts and strengthens us for our earthly journey. The apostle Paul has a word for us:


Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for me, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23, 24


I just love God’s Word. Don’t you?

Beautiful words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life. *

*Phillip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

No comments:

Post a Comment