Alabare A Mi Senor

Alabare A Mi Senor: I Will Worship My Savior

Nothing but love...

Pamela



Sunday, April 25, 2010

Praise the Lord! It's Required!

   As a normal rite of passage in the life of a missionary kid, I moved away from Honduras (home) and attended boarding school in Tennessee in 11th and 12th grades. Yes, all by myself. I assure you this was considered normal tradition, and not a disciplinary measure. Honestly! But, boy, I was heartsick! And sure missed my mom, if you must know…   
   Mr. and Mrs. Harper (not their real names) were the resident house parents of the girls’ dormitory. Much to our amusement, Mr. Harper’s perfunctory situational assessment was always, I mean, ALWAYS, “Well, Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord!” Being experts in the art of female teenage behavior, we tested Mr. Harper’s ever-present praise and worship mindset as often and as ruthlessly as possible.
   “Mr. Harper! I’ve just set fire to my room with my curling iron!” “Well, praise the Lord!” Honest to goodness, at Homecoming? For the half-time entertainment and homecoming queen coronation, Mr. Harper parachuted out of a perfectly good airplane onto the playing field. He landed directly on the 50 yard line, breaking his leg in the process. As the EMTs toted him off the field, from the stretcher he triumphantly pumped his fist in the air, smiled (or grimaced, perhaps), and shouted, “Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!”

                    Oh Father, that hurt, that was harsh, my confidence is shaken.

     Have you ever wondered, how can I summon up wholehearted praise and worship? I hurt, Lord.
   I find useless, mind-numbing platitudes in times of sorrow distasteful and disrespectful. At my sister’s funeral? Well-intended, fine Christian folks walked up to me and said things like, “She’s in a better place,” or God needed her with Him.” Uhhh—no! I needed her here with me! A much better place would be here, with me!”
   But, this is what I’ve learned: No matter the hurt, I must praise my Father. I must thank Him, whatever the circumstances. When I am happy, I enjoy myself and praise Him. In times of pain, when I suffer, I thank God for the trials because I know, without doubt, that these difficulties will, in time, yield truly awesome results. When I hurt, I tell my Father, and my surrendered heart of worship always brings a beautiful, life-changing encounter with God. No matter what my external circumstances, God is with me and for me. He desires and commands my praise.
      Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. (Psalm 126:5) and The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18)
   Here is another token of assurance: We are part of Christ’s family. Have you ever been caught up in a moment of angst or really struggling, when, all-of-a-sudden, you are overcome by an unexplained warmth, calm? Someone in the Family of Christ is praying for you. You are feeling the arms of Jesus, the Great Comforter, loving you because someone, somewhere, is praying you through. So don’t give up! God WILL show up. And while you’re waiting, praise Him. Praise Him, Jesus our Blessed Redeemer.
   Praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment